Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1825 - 1845
Terraced symmetrical three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1835. Now converted to apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick and cement rendered chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform and steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front with matching pedestrian gate.
This house is part of a terrace of four late Georgian buildings (Nos 11, 13, 15 and 17). It is one of the few early nineteenth-century survivors on the street and is a significant part of the architectural heritage of the Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. The most significant feature is the elaborate entrance which adds detail to the otherwise restrained façade. The work of skilled craftsmen it consists of an elegant timber surround and cobweb fanlight. The simple boundary railings provide a sense of enclosure to the small front site.