Survey Data

Reg No

50060220


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1825 - 1845


Coordinates

314651, 235892


Date Recorded

26/08/2014


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1835. Now converted to apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Cement rendered chimneystacks to party walls and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with horns. Window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber two-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with spider’s-web fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front.

Appraisal

This house is one in a terrace of four late Georgian buildings. It is one of the few early nineteenth-century survivors on the street and is a significant part of the architectural heritage of the Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. The most significant feature is the elaborate entrance which adds detail to the otherwise restrained façade. The work of skilled craftsmen, it consists of an elegant timber surround and cobweb fanlight. The simple boundary railings provide a sense of enclosure to the small front site.