Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1825 - 1845
Terraced symmetrical three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1835. Now in use as apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. Single-span pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party walls. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, with replacement uPVC window over doorway. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with cobweb fanlight. Granite platform and cast-iron bootscraper. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front.
This house is part of a terrace of four late Georgian buildings (Nos 11, 13, 15 and 17). It is one of the few early nineteenth-century survivors on the street and is a significant part of the architectural heritage of the Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. The most significant feature is the elaborate entrance which enriches the otherwise restrained façade. The work of skilled craftsmen it consists of an elegant timber surround and cobweb fanlight. The simple boundary railings provide a sense of enclosure to the small front site.