Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now converted to apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. Single-span pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party wall. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform and granite steps with cast-iron balustrade and wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall to front.
This house is one of a pair of imposing semi-detached mid-nineteenth-century houses located on the north side of Cabra Road. The pair maintains a coherent architectural form with shared granite steps and platform, doorcases and building lines. The houses would originally have been developed for middle class families who were leaving the city for new suburban developments along key access routes or by the coast. The architectural form is derived from the Georgian townhouse. The pair remains relatively intact with a number of historic features surviving. The work of a skilled artisan is evident in the design of the handrail and boundary railings.