Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (north) elevation and full-height canted bay to west elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping, hipped to west end of rear span over canted bay. Cement rendered and brick chimneystacks and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course to front (south) elevation. Cement rendered wall to basement and west elevation. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to front and west elevations, but with replacement uPVC window to basement. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper. Granite steps with cast-iron balustrade and wrought-iron handrail. Moulded granite plinth wall to front.
This house is part of a pair of imposing semi-detached mid-nineteenth-century houses located on the north side of Cabra Road. The pair maintains a coherent architectural form with shared granite steps and platform, doorcases and building lines. The houses would originally have been developed for middle class families who were leaving the city for new suburban developments along key access routes or by the coast. The architectural form is derived from the Georgian townhouse. The pair remains relatively intact with a number of historic features surviving. The work of a skilled artisan is evident in the design of the handrail and boundary railings.