Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now converted into apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystack to party wall and replacement uPVC downpipe. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping with wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front.
This house is part of a well-composed terrace of nine houses, likely the work of the same builder giving rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same parapet line, window alignments and doorcases. The architectural form of the houses of Cabra Road is derived from the Dublin townhouse, though on a more modest scale due to its location at the edge of the city. In many cases the cast-iron or wrought-iron boundary railings survive providing a sense of enclosure. Of particular note is the elegant doorcase with its teardrop fanlight.