Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now converted to apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind rendered parapet wall with granite coping. Cement rendered chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Unpainted ruled and lined rendered walls with granite plinth course. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with horns. Iron window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded surround and early twentieth-century timber panelled door with glazed panels, flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform and steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping with wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front.
This house is part of a well-composed terrace of nine houses (Nos 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39 and 41), likely the work of the same builder giving rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same parapet line, window alignments and doorcases. The architectural form of the houses of Cabra Road is derived from the Dublin townhouse, though on a more modest scale due to its location at the edge of the city. In many cases the cast-iron or wrought-iron boundary railings survive providing a sense of enclosure. Of particular note are the elegant doorcase with its teardrop fanlight.