Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick and cement rendered chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and having replacement uPVC windows to ground and first floors and one-over-one pane replacement timber sliding sash window to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with teardrop fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping with wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front
This house is part of a well-composed terrace of nine houses (Nos 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39 and 41), likely the work of the same builder giving rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same parapet line, window alignments and doorcases. The architectural form of the houses of Cabra Road is derived from the Dublin townhouse, though on a more modest scale due to its location at the edge of the city. In many cases the cast-iron or wrought-iron boundary railings survive providing a sense of enclosure. Of particular note is the elegant doorcase with its teardrop fanlight.