Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now converted to apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party walls. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills having one-over-pane timber sliding sash windows with horns to ground floor and basement, and replacement uPVC windows to first floor. Iron window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber panelled door with later glazed panel, flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with teardrop fanlight. Granite platform and steps with cast-iron bootscrape and wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping with matching wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front.
This house is part of a well-composed terrace of nine houses, likely the work of the same builder giving rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same parapet line, window alignments and doorcases. The architectural form of the houses of Cabra Road is derived from the Dublin townhouse, though on a more modest scale due to its location at the edge of the city. In many cases the cast-iron or wrought-iron boundary railings survive providing a sense of enclosure. Of particular note is the elegant doorcase with its teardrop fanlight.