Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now converted to two apartments,with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party wall and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs and reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with teardrop fanlight. Granite platform and steps with cast-iron bootscrape, cast-iron coal hole cover and wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping with matching wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front.
This house is part of a well-composed terrace of nine houses (Nos 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39 and 41), likely the work of the same builder giving rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same parapet line, window alignments and doorcases. The architectural form of the houses of Cabra Road is derived from the Dublin townhouse, though on a more modest scale due to its location at the edge of the city. In many cases the cast-iron or wrought-iron boundary railings survive providing a sense of enclosure. Of particular note is the elegant doorcase with its teardrop fanlight.