Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Cement rendered chimneystacks to party walls. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs and reveals, granite sills and replacement casement windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and replacement early twentieth-century timber and stained-glass door flanked by stained-glass margin lights supporting leaded fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape and cast-iron coal hole cover. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping with matching wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front.
The regular form and scale of this house are characteristic of the houses constructed on the outskirts of the city in the second half of the nineteenth century. Part of a terraced group, Nos 51, 49, 47, 45 and 43 were likely constructed by the same developer. They maintain a coherent architectural form and variations in design elements are evident between this group and its neighbours. This house is distinguished from its neighbours by an ornate early twentieth-century entrance door with matching side-lights and fanlights.