Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now converted to apartments, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party walls and uPVC rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs and reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows, with window guards to ground and first floors. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with petal fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered brick plinth wall with granite coping with matching wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front.
The regular form and scale of this house is characteristic of the houses constructed on the outskirts of the city in the second half of the nineteenth century. Part of a terraced group, Nos 51, 49, 47, 45 and 43 were likely constructed by the same developer. They maintain a coherent architectural form and variations in design elements are evident between this group and its neighbours. The façades are enlivened by the addition of the well-composed doorcases with petal fanlights.