Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now in use nursing home, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping, rear span is hipped to east end. Brick chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and timber casement windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and replacement timber door with glazed panel flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with teardrop fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron coal hole cover. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on brick plinth wall with granite coping with wrought-iron pedestrian gate to front.
Part of a terrace of five houses, Nos 53, 55, 57, 59 and 61 were probably the work of an individual builder or developer. This gives rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same parapet line, window alignment and identical doorcase and fanlight. The houses are typical of terraced houses built as the city developed beyond the North Circular Road in the Victorian period. It forms a significant part of the architectural heritage of Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. The most significant architectural feature is the elaborate doorcase and fanlight, the work of skilled craftsmen.