Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Nnow in use as nursing home. Return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping, rear span hipped to east end. Brick chimneystack to party wall and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floor, with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and granite sills having timber casement windows, and having metal window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround, timber two-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze, and cornice with teardrop fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper and cast-iron coal hole cover. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front and wrought-iron pedestrian gate.
Part of a terrace of five houses, Nos 53, 55, 57, 59 and 61 were probably the work of an individual builder or developer. This gives rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same parapet line, window alignment and identical doorcase and fanlight. The houses are typical of terraced houses built as the city developed beyond the North Circular Road in the Victorian period. It forms a significant part of the architectural heritage of Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. The most significant architectural feature is the elaborate doorcase and fanlight, the work of skilled craftsmen.