Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping, rear span hipped to east end. Brick chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors, with granite plinth course over cement rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane replacement timber sliding sash windows with horns. Segmental-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround and having timber raised-and fielded four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with teardrop fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front and wrought-iron pedestrian gate.
This house, along with No. 63, to the east was probably constructed by the same builder, giving rise to a uniform pair which maintain the same parapet line, window alignment and doorcase. The houses would originally have been developed for middle class families who were leaving the central city for new developments along key access routes or by the coast. The architectural form is derived from the Georgian townhouse though on a more modest scale. The house remains relatively intact with the doorcases and fanlight of particular note.