Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping, rear span hipped to east end. Brick chimneystacks to party walls. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors, with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Iron window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber bolection-moulded four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper. Nosed granite steps with cast-iron balusters and wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front and wrought-iron pedestrian gate.
This early Victorian building is typical of terraced houses that were constructed as the city expanded beyond the North Circular Road in the middle of the nineteenth century. It forms a significant part of the architectural heritage of Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. While the terrace maintains a coherent architectural form, some slight variations in design are evident between this house and its neighbours. The most significant architectural feature is the elaborate doorcase and bootscraper which reference elements of classical architecture.