Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1860. Now converted for multiple occupancy. Full-height canted bay to front (south) elevation and return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping, hipped to west end and gabled to east end. Brick chimneystacks to party wall. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors, with terracotta name plaque to ground floor. Granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings to ground and first floors with brick voussoirs and brick reveals, granite sills having replacement casement windows. Square-headed opening with replacement casement windows with iron window guards to basement. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber two-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Nosed granite steps with cast-iron balusters and wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on red brick plinth wall with moulded granite coping to front and cast-iron pedestrian gate.
This house is one of a pair of imposing semi-detached mid-nineteenth-century houses located on the north side of Cabra Road. The pair maintains a coherent architectural form with matched canted bays, doorcases and building lines. The form is characteristic of the houses that were constructed on the outskirts of the city in the second half of the nineteenth century to house middle class families. Of particular interest are the ornate cast-iron handrails to the granite entrance steps and the boundary railings, which are the work of a skilled artisan.