Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1790 - 1800
Double canal lock, constructed c.1795, having dressed limestone chamber walls with dressed limestone coping with recesses for lock gates. Concrete mooring posts to north and south sides of chambers. Replacement timber and mild steel lock gates and timber balance beams. To east and west of lock canal expands to provide mooring areas. Walls of lower chamber slope up with flight of concrete steps. Recesses for stop gates to eastern end.
This forms part of a group of three double canal locks (2nd Lock, 3rd Lock and 4th Lock) located between Binns Bridge at the southeast and Westmoreland Bridge at the northwest. Construction of the Royal Canal began in the late eighteenth century to provide freight and passenger transport between the Dublin and the River Shannon. The chambers exhibit good quality stone masonry with fine joints. The well-built double locks have attractive sloping edges to cope with the change in height between the lower, middle and upper levels. On either side of the lock the canal expands in width to provide a mooring place for waiting boats.