Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1865
Single-span canal bridge, likely rebuild of c.1864 at same time as construction of railway bridge to north, carrying Phibsborough Road over Royal Canal. Older canal bridge apparently removed. Ashlar limestone abutments and terminating piers, latter with dressed limestone caps supporting cast-iron lamp standards with acanthus-leaf ornament to bases. Drainage spouts to outer faces of piers. Rubble limestone wing walls. Cast-iron parapets with rounded tops, round-ended vertical perforations and curving buttress-like elements to outer sides. West side of bridge has pipe attached. Canal lock to same side.
This canal bridge and adjacent lock were named for the Earl of Westmoreland, who laid the first stone at this site in 1790. The present bridge structure appears to be a rebuild, probably of about 1864, when the adjacent railway line and bridge were constructed, in order to provide a level road surface across railway and canal. The quality of the ashlar stonework is high and the cast-iron parapets, by Ross & Walpole Ltd Engineers Dublin, and the light standards, add decorative interest. The setting of the lock is enhanced by the presence of a significant group of industrial structures nearby, including Westmoreland (now 5th) lock, the adjacent canal and railway bridge, the former North City Flour mills and a former railway siding. The Royal Canal Company was established in 1789 to construct a canal to provide freight and passenger transport between Dublin and the River Shannon.