Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
Mallet's Iron Mill
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Detached eleven-bay five-storey former mill with half-dormer attic, built c.1840, having advanced gable-fronted end bay of six storeys to west. Now in use as apartments. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, gabled to advanced end bay with cast-iron rainwater goods. Squared rubble limestone walls with cast-iron tie-bars, dressed limestone quoins to front (north) and east elevations and dressed limestone string course to east elevation, upper floor rebuilt in random rubble limestone. Square-headed window openings with brown brick voussoirs, brown brick block-and-start reveals, granite sills and replacement eight-over-eight timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed opening with brown brick voussoirs, brown brick block-and-start reveals, granite sills and replacement timber casement window to advanced end bay. Square-headed door openings with ashlar limestone voussoirs and channelled ashlar limestone piers supporting ashlar limestone cornice. Replacement timber panelled doors, that to centre having replacement timber panelled pilasters and stained-glass sidelights. Square-headed door openings with brown brick voussoirs, brown brick block-and-start reveals, replacement timber panelled door and plain over-light. Mild steel railings on rubble limestone plinth wall. Located on south side of side of Royal Canal, adjacent to 5th Lock.
This imposing industrial building started life as Mallet's Iron Mill before becoming the North City Flour Mill in the 1860s. It is a socially important building as it provided a significant amount of employment in the area around Phibsborough. The functional design, dictated by its original use, is enlivened by the addition of the brick dressing to the window openings and the well-crafted entrance doorway. Together with the nearby 5th lock, canal bridge, railway bridge, and railway siding, it contributes to the former industrial character of the area. Its new use as apartments is testimony to its solid construction.