Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1790 - 1795
Single-arch humpbacked limestone canal bridge, dated 1792, carrying Ratoath Road on north-south axis over Royal Canal. Elliptical arch with tooled limestone voussoirs and granite keystones rising from coursed limestone ashlar walls with curved limestone ashlar spandrels. Coursed limestone ashlar parapets with plat-band to base and flat limestone coping terminated to either end by round limestone piers with round capstones (replaced with cement to northwest). Parapet damaged and poorly rebuilt to north end of east parapet and to both ends of west parapet. Carved Portland limestone plaque set into both parapets with oval panels inscribed '1792 H.S Reilly Bridge & Lock'. Located adjacent to 8th Lock.
An early canal bridge named in honour of H.S. Reilly, a canal director. Built in a typical late eighteenth-century style to serve rural traffic over the Royal Canal, the early features and masonry skills are still evident. When viewed as a composition with the canal lock, together they are an appealing historic feature in the cityscape.