Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Canal lock associated with Royal Canal, built c.1790, comprising two pairs of timber and steel breast gates with timber footboards and balance beams. Gates set within limestone tooled limestone ashlar lock chamber with bull-nose limestone capstones at ground level. Located adjacent to H.S. Reilly Bridge.
A well-constructed canal lock that forms part of a wider collection of locks, bridges and lock-keepers' houses associated with the Royal Canal on its journey from Spencer Dock to Longford town. Displaying quality masonry skills and early eighteenth-century engineering, it attests to the importance of the canal’s role at the time of construction. Fully functioning, this lock serves recreational use today and remains an important element in the architectural and industrial heritage of north Dublin.