Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c.1800, now in use as apartments. T-plan pitched artificial slate roof, gabled to rear, hidden behind cement rendered parapet with granite coping. Brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots to front and brick angled chimneystack with yellow clay pots abutting rear elevation. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite plinth over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening with panelled timber door, stone block-and-start surround, fluted frieze and plain fanlight. Platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Wrought-iron railings and moulded granite plinth to basement area.
Synnott Place was part of the residential development undertaken by Gardiner family in the northeastern sector of the city. It retains a terrace of fine three-storey and four-storey houses over basements, forming a pocket of grand architectural character at the edge of the city. It was part of a scheme of streets leading to a proposed circus on the site of the present Mater Hospital. The street was laid out in the 1790s as the westward continuation of Gardiner Street and the houses are typically Georgian in character, although some later infill is evident. The façade of No. 2 is classically restrained, with ornamentation limited to a fine block-and-start doorcase with plain fanlight. The unusual brick angled chimneystack is a common feature in the area around Dorset Street.