Categories of Special Interest
Under Secretary's Lodge/Papal Nunciature
In Use As
1760 - 1800
Walled garden built c.1760, formerly garden to Under Secretary's Lodge, now in use as public garden. Partially remodelled to include glasshouse of c.1854. Outer walling roughly coursed limestone rubble. Handmade yellow brick inner walls and upper section of outer walls, laid to English Garden wall bond. Generally stone coping, brick piers bracing inner walls, lined with planting beds. Offset brick buttresses to upper section of outer perimeter walls. Advancing brick bay to central south having segmental arch with brick voussoirs and decorative cast-iron gates. Flat-headed openings to east and west, having brick voussoirs and cast-iron gates, some recent replacements, enlarged opening to north-west. Depressed arch to northeast with recent timber sheeted door and brick voussoirs and architraves. Advancing depressed arch to northeast re-entrant angle having brick voussoirs and dressed limestone walling, interconnected archway to west blocked with concrete. Cruciform gravel paths within garden. Located within mature landscaped grounds.
A fine mid-nineteenth-century walled garden, which generated food produce for the associated Under Secretary’s Lodge within Phoenix Park. Recently restored as an exemplar model of a Victorian kitchen garden, work to northern section and glasshouse designed by Jacob Owen is ongoing. The formal organisation of the planting beds, linear path layout and brick walling to the interior are typical characteristics of walled garden design, intended to trap heat and maximise productivity. The garden is complemented by the former outbuildings (now Ashtown Visitor Centre, 50060046) and the nearby tower house (50060048) which was incorporated in the now demolished house. The garden adds to the rich and varied architectural heritage of Phoenix Park.