Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1800 - 1810


316030, 234301

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay five-storey former house with shopfronts to front (north-east) elevation, built c.1805, retaining original shopfront. Now in use as retail outlets. M-profile shared hipped roof, with rendered and brown brick chimneystacks having clay pots, hidden behind brown brick parapet with ashlar granite coping. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings having raised render reveals, cut granite sills, ashlar granite continuous sill course to fourth floor window openings, carved granite architraves having fluted detailing to first floor, lugged render reveals to upper floors, three-over-three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising carved Ionic pilasters supporting panelled fascia and carved cornice, surrounding square-headed display windows with overlights and timber panelled risers. Square-headed door openings having ashlar granite surrounds, fluted friezes and overlights, timber panelled doors.


Forming part of a terrace that is a fine example of the purpose-built residential accommodation-over-shop development designed by Henry Aaron Baker, for the Wide Streets Commission, this building is of particular significance as it retains its original shopfront. These buildings, which bear a considerable resemblance to Baker’s work on Westmoreland Street, share a parapet height and fenestration arrangement, with the continuous sill course and shopfront cornice contributing to the overall sense of uniformity, making a positive contribution to this streetscape. Carved stone detailing, notably the window surrounds and shopfront, provide textural variation, and attests to the artisanship involved in its execution. One of the best-preserved and maintained terraces of Wide Street Commission buildings in Dublin, it is a significant part of the city's historic character.