Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Technical
In Use As
1755 - 1760
Tripartite entrance screen to Provost's House, built 1759. Comprising ashlar granite piers with vermiculated bands, carved caps and plinths, flanking vehicular entrance, and set in ashlar granite boundary wall having pair of round-headed recesses with square-headed pedestrian gates surrounded by granite architraves and keystones. Vehicular entrance having double-leaf cast-iron gates with openwork cast-iron piers, and double-leaf timber panelled gates, with elaborate cast- and wrought-iron panel above. Single-leaf timber panelled doors to pedestrian entrances. Cobbled yard with granite slab paths and wrought-iron gate stops in granite setts.
A well composed entrance that both screens and provides tantalizing views of the Provost's House. It is an eye catching addition to the urban landscape. The high quality stone and iron work combine to create an entrance befitting the significant house within. The heavy vermiculated stone carving and elaborate wrought-iron add to its setting and context.