Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1840, having recent shopfront to front (north-west) elevation. Now in use as public house with hotel to upper floors. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to north-east, hidden behind red brick parapet having cut granite coping, red brick stepped chimneystack with terracotta pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings having cut granite sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window and door openings, fluted pilaster to recent shopfront. Situated on south side and west end of Essex Gate.
This building retains some traditional features and fabric, such as the brickwork and timber sash windows which add to its historic character. It shares proportions and scale with its neighbours to the east, resulting in some coherence to the streetscape. The diminishing fenestration to the upper floor openings attributes a hierarchy to each floor and creates a pleasantly balanced façade, typical of the period.