Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social

Original Use


In Use As

Public house


1830 - 1850


-1, -1

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1840, having recent shopfront to front (north-west) elevation. Now in use as public house with hotel to upper floors. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to north-east, hidden behind red brick parapet having cut granite coping, red brick stepped chimneystack with terracotta pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings having cut granite sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window and door openings, fluted pilaster to recent shopfront. Situated on south side and west end of Essex Gate.


This building retains some traditional features and fabric, such as the brickwork and timber sash windows which add to its historic character. It shares proportions and scale with its neighbours, resulting in some coherence to the streetscape. The diminishing fenestration to the upper floor openings attributes a hierarchy to each floor and creates a pleasantly balanced fa├žade, typical of the period.