Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Historical Social Technical
In Use As
1835 - 1845
Park set to centre of housing square, laid out c.1840. Cast-iron railings on painted granite plinth wall, terminating in fluted round-plan polished pink granite and render piers with carved granite detailing, flanking matching double-leaf gates, providing entrances to front (south), east and west elevations. Square-plan rusticated granite piers to corners to front. Wrought- and cast-iron benches with decorative sides. Curvilinear planting beds and lawns, s-curve path edges, mature trees and hedging to interior of railings, some recent trees to interior. Central moulded copper sculpture on render plinth. Set to the centre of Pearse Square, overlooking Pearse Street to the south.
Formerly known as Queen Square, Pearse Square is a fine group of Victorian domestic buildings, and the context afforded by this public park is an important aspects of its setting, providing a public space in an otherwise densely built area. Carpenter, builder and 'undertaker', Peter Martin appears to have been responsible for the development. The first edition 6" OS map, surveyed 1837, shows some houses at the southern end of the east and west sides of the square. Shaw's Directory of 1850 indicates that almost all the houses were built, with the exception of those making the small cul-de-sac at the northwest corner. The cast-iron railings attest to the artisanship and skill involved in the manufacture of mass-produced iron-work. This is also evidenced in the well-executed benches, with elaborate fruit and rabbit motifs. A bandstand once stood at the centre, but in the late 1990s it was replaced by a sculpture, entitled 'Harmony', by Sandra Bell, which provides a central focal point and lends artistic interest to the composition.