Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
Mont Clare Hotel
In Use As
1760 - 1780
Corner-sited end-of-terrace group of three-bay, four-bay and two-bay four-storey over basement houses, built c.1770, now in single use as hotel. Pitched slate roof with hipped returns, concealed behind rendered parapet having render coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls, raised fascia and moulded cornice over channelled render and render plinth course to ground floor, with cast-iron tie plates. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills having three-over-three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Doorcase to front comprising Doric columns supporting moulded masonry entablature and pediment, surrounding square-headed door opening and side lights, with replacement glazed timber framed door and recent granite steps. Round-headed door openings to front and east elevations with doorcases having panelled pilasters and entablatures, petal fanlights over timber panelled door and double-leaf timber panelled door, with granite steps. Wrought-iron railings to front, cast-iron railings to east, on carved granite plinth wall enclosing basement area. Set on the corner of Clare Street and Merrion Street Lower.
Clare Street was developed c.1762 by John Ensor for the sixth Viscount Fitzwilliam. This substantial building dominates the junction between Clare Street and Merrion Street Lower. Although altered for its current use, the building has retained its Georgian fenestration pattern, parapet height and some detailing, contributing to the coherence and character of the streetscape. The houses were, in 1850, occupied by Walter Hussey Griffith, barrister, number 13, and Thomas William Barlow, solicitor to the Ordnance, number 14. In the 1860s B. Finucane, a court hair dresser and perfumer was at number 1 Merrion Street Lower.