Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1870
Attached two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1840, with recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shop and offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west, concealed behind ashlar granite parapet. Rendered chimneystacks with clay pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, ashlar granite eaves course and quoins, rendered walls to ground floor and east elevation. Cast-iron air bricks. Cast-iron vent stacks to rear. Square-headed window openings with raised rendered reveals, masonry sills, two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows, margined sash windows, and having timber framed casement windows to rear. Round-headed window opening to rear, having replacement timber sliding sash window and cast-iron rails. Replacement shopfront. Street fronted on Lincoln Place facing north to junction with Westland Row.
The granite framing of the brick façade gives this building a pleasing aspect, and creates an interesting tonal and textural contrast. The well-fired red brick of the front elevation and the darker, more poorly fired brick used to the rear is an interesting indication of contemporary construction saving costs. The retention of features including timber sash windows add to the historic character of both the building and the streetscape. In 1862 it was the premises of James H. Fitzgibbon, chemist and druggist, and formed part of a row of commercial units.