Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Public house


1830 - 1850


-1, -1

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited end-of-terrace four-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1840, having wraparound shopfront to front (east) and south elevations, and single-bay return to Lincoln Place. Now in use as public house. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to south, concealed behind cut granite parapet with red brick cornice and wreath-and-swag terracotta detailing. Red brick chimneystacks having decorative string courses and terracotta pots. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with render quoins. Square-headed window openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with raised render reveals and sills, cast-iron railing to those to first floor. Shopfront comprising terracotta tiled pilasters supporting panelled fascia with brass lettering, having moulded architrave and cornice. Fluted moulded console brackets to cornice supporting terracotta spheres on stepped mounts. Decorative terracotta stall-risers with moulded circular bosses and fleur-de-lis detail. Square-profile granite pilaster to south-west corner. Square-headed display window openings with recent timber framed windows and wrought-iron sill-guards. Elliptical- and round-headed door openings with moulded architraves having enlarged keystone and foliate details to intrados. Recent timber doors with overlights. Basement approached by flight of steps surrounded by decorative cast-iron railings on granite plinth. Some granite paving to pavement. Located at junction of Westland Row and Lincoln Place.


This building has a long commercial history and in 1850 it was in use as a dry goods store and public house. In 1862 it was occupied by John McGauran, a grocer and wine merchant. Situated close to Trinity College, this popular pub is thought to have associations with the Irish literary tradition - Oscar Wilde, James Joyce and Samuel Beckett are all linked with the building. The later terracotta detailing is of a high quality and is typical of Victorian embellishment and visually links this building to similarly-decorated neighbouring structures. The building forms a pleasing focal point at this junction and contributes to the character of this historic streetscape. Westland Row, opened in 1773 and widened in 1792, is lined with late Georgian and early Victorian buildings.