Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1840, now in use as part of college. Pitched slate roof concealed behind parapet with ashlar granite coping, granite and moulded brick cornice over moulded terracotta frieze having swag-and-wreath detail, brick chimneystacks with clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, channelled render to ground floor and painted masonry plinth course over smooth render to basement. Square-headed window openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with raised render reveals and granite sills, continuous masonry sill to first floor window openings. Segmental-headed door opening having masonry doorcase with moulded console brackets to entablature, acanthus detail to architrave, and timber panelled door with plain fanlight. Nosed granite step. Cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth wall and recent decking to basement well. Street fronted to south of Westland Row.
The soft red tones of the bricks contrast with the brown brick employed in the neighbouring buildings to the north, while the rusticated render to the ground floor and the later embellished terracotta frieze maintain a sense of continuity. This building was occupied by William MacCarthy M'Cay, solicitor and agent to the Liverpool & London Insurance Company (who had their offices nearby) and William Paul Prendergast Esq who worked for the Office of Public Works, in the 1860s. Westland Row was opened in 1773, and widened in 1792. It retains a number of late Georgian and early Victorian houses, creating an important and varied historic streetscape.