Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1840, now in use as part of college. Pitched slate roof concealed behind parapet with ashlar granite coping and granite and moulded red brick cornice over moulded terracotta frieze having swag-and-wreath detail, brown brick chimneystack with clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, rusticated render to ground floor and painted masonry plinth course over smooth render to basement. Square-headed window openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with raised render reveals and granite sills, continuous moulded masonry sill course to first floor window openings. Segmental-headed door opening having painted masonry doorcase with stepped console brackets, acanthus leaf motif to architrave, half-glazed timber panelled door and plain fanlight. Nosed granite step. Cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth wall enclosing basement well. Street fronted to Westland Row.
The red brick and striking rusticated render to the ground floor are repeated in the neighbouring buildings, creating a strong sense of unity on the streetscape. A shared parapet height, fenestration arrangement and detailing add to the cohesiveness evident within this terrace, while the later moulded terracotta frieze, adorned with Classical motifs, adds artistic interest to the composition. Built originally as domestic residences, the houses on this street were soon adapted to include commercial businesses, and this building was occupied in the mid-nineteenth century by James Walsh, an apothecary and chemist. This area of Dublin saw a marked concentration of chemists and other health care professionals. Westland Row was opened in 1773, and widened in 1792. It retains a number of late Georgian and early Victorian houses, creating an interesting and varied historic streetscape.