Survey Data

Reg No

50020441


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

Building misc


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

11/03/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1840, now in use as part of college. Pitched slate roof concealed behind parapet with ashlar granite coping, granite and moulded brick cornice over moulded terracotta frieze having swag-and-wreath detail. Brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, channelled render to ground floor and masonry plinth course over smooth render to basement. Square-headed window openings having recent timber casement windows with raised render reveals and granite sills, continuous moulded sill course to first floor. Segmental-headed door opening having masonry doorcase with stepped console brackets to entablature, acanthus leaf motif to architrave, and timber panelled door with plain fanlight. Nosed granite step flanked by cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth wall enclosing basement well. Street fronted to Westland Row.

Appraisal

The soft red tones of the bricks contrast with the brown brick employed in the neighbouring buildings to the north, while the rusticated render to the ground floor and the later embellished terracotta frieze maintain a sense of continuity. The houses in this terrace were soon adapted to include commercial businesses, and this one was occupied in the mid-nineteenth century by James Fraser, a landscape gardener and land valuator. Westland Row was opened in 1773, and widened in 1792. It retains a number of late Georgian and early Victorian houses, creating an interesting and varied historic streetscape.