Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement house, built c.1830, now in use as part of college. M-profile pitched slate roof concealed behind parapet with ashlar granite coping, granite cornice on moulded brick consoles, moulded terracotta frieze having swag-and-wreath detail. Brick chimneystacks with clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, render quoins to south, channelled render to ground floor and masonry plinth course over smooth render to basement. Square-headed window openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with raised render reveals and granite sills, moulded sill course to first floor. Segmental-headed door opening having masonry doorcase with stepped console brackets to entablature, timber panelled door with plain fanlight. Nosed granite step. Cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth wall enclosing basement well. Street fronted to Westland Row.
The soft brown brick façade and striking rusticated render to the ground floor are repeated in the neighbouring buildings, creating a strong sense of unity on the streetscape. A shared parapet height, fenestration arrangement and detailing add to the cohesiveness evident within this terrace, while the later moulded terracotta frieze, adorned with Classical motifs, adds artistic interest to the composition. This building was occupied in the mid-nineteenth century by James Stannus Hughes, surgeon to Jervis Street Hospital and the household of the Lord Lieutenant. This part of Dublin had a concentration of health care professionals. Westland Row was opened in 1773, and widened in 1792. It retains a number of late Georgian and early Victorian houses, creating an interesting and varied historic streetscape.