Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1830, now in use as part of college. M-profile pitched slate roof concealed behind parapet having ashlar granite coping, granite cornice on moulded red brick corbels, moulded terracotta frieze with swag-and-wreath detail. Brick and rendered chimneystacks having clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods to facade. Yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, channelled render to ground floor and painted masonry plinth course over smooth render to basement. Square-headed window openings with timber casement windows, raised render reveals and granite sills, moulded masonry sill course to first floor, replacement window to ground floor. Segmental-headed door opening having masonry doorcase, stepped console brackets to entablature, timber panelled door and overlight. Flagged step with granite kerb, cast-iron bootscrape. Cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth wall enclosing basement well. Street fronted to Westland Row.
The soft brown brick façade and striking rusticated render to the ground floor are repeated in the neighbouring buildings, creating a strong sense of unity on the streetscape. A shared parapet height, fenestration arrangement and detailing add to the cohesiveness evident within this terrace, while the later moulded terracotta frieze, adorned with Classical motifs, adds artistic interest to the composition. It apparently retains an open-well staircase to the interior, rising to the full height and lavishly embellished with decorative soffits, which add to the significance of the building. Built originally as domestic residences, the houses on this street were soon adapted to include commercial businesses, and this one was occupied by Walter Doolin, builder and contractor, in 1862. Westland Row was opened in 1773, and widened in 1792. It retains a number of late Georgian and early Victorian houses, creating an interesting and varied historic streetscape.