Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1800. Refaced and shopfront added to front (south) elevation c.1890. Recent roof addition, c.2010. Now in use as shop to ground floor and dental hospital to upper floors. Shared pitched slate roof, with rendered chimneystack and shared cast-iron rainwater goods, concealed behind open red brick and terracotta parapet, having round-headed openings, render coping, lead flashing, pedimented breakfront and panels with marigold details. Recent metal clad roof addition to north pitch. Moulded red brick eaves course having sawtooth motif, over red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, red brick pilaster quoins. Square-headed window openings with terracotta sills, terracotta keystone to third floor openings, continuous sill course to second floor openings, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear (north) elevation having granite sills, six-over-six pane and Wyatt timber sliding sash windows. Masonry shopfront comprising pilasters, with fluted pedimented consoles, flanking recent timber fascia, cornice, and replacement shopfront within. Round-headed door opening to rear having replacement fittings. Street fronted, set at east end of South Leinster Street at junction with Lincoln Place.
Built as part of a group of four with shared form and fabric, this building makes a positive contribution to the continuity of the streetscape. Retaining a sense of symmetry and restraint, it was subsequently refaced with the addition of the eye-catching Victorian parapet, pilasters and shopfront. The warm brick blends with the terracotta elements, and the moulded detailing subtly articulates the façade. The elegant shopfront lends artistic and contextual interest to both the building and the streetscape. Nos.1-4 South Leinster Street, together with the adjoining building 18-19 Lincoln Place, were recently sympathetically remodelled for the dental hospital by McCullough Mulvin Architects.