Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c.1800, having bow to rear (north) elevation. Refaced and shopfront added to front (south) elevation, c.1890. Recent roof addition, c.2010. Later in use as hotel, now in use as hospital. Shared pitched slate roof with shared rendered chimneystacks concealed behind terracotta and rendered parapet having lead flashing and panelled pedimented breakfront. Recent metal clad roof addition to north pitch. Moulded cornice and eaves course over red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with red brick terminating pilasters, rusticated render and render plinth course to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with terracotta sills, terracotta keystones to third floor, shared continuous sill course to second floor, one-over-one pane, three-over-three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Masonry shopfront comprising shared pilasters with fluted pedimented consoles, flanking plain fascia and moulded cornice. Round-headed door opening with Ionic doorcase, single pane fanlight and timber panelled door. Street fronted, set at east end of South Leinster Street at junction with Lincoln Place. Some granite paving to front.
Built as part of a group of four with shared form and fabric, this building makes a positive contribution to the continuity of the streetscape. Retaining a sense of symmetry and restraint, it was refaced with the addition of the eye-catching Victorian parapet and pilasters and string courses. The warm brick blends with the terracotta elements, and the moulded detailing subtly articulates the façade. The elegant doorcase lends artistic and contextual interest to both the building and the streetscape, which together with the full-height bowed rear elevation, are noteworthy early features. Together with the neighbouring building, No.1 South Leinster Street, it is of significance as a former hotel, Finn's Hotel, the workplace of Nora Barnacle, who was a chambermaid here at the time of her first encounter with James Joyce, on the 10th June 1904. The hotel name survives to the gable façade. Nos.1-4 South Leinster Street, together with the adjoining building 18-19 Lincoln Place, were recently sympathetically remodelled for the dental hospital by McCullough Mulvin Architects.