Survey Data

Reg No

50020421


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social


Previous Name

Finn's Hotel


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Hotel


In Use As

Hospital/infirmary


Date

1790 - 1810


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

24/02/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1800. Refaced and shopfront added to front (south) elevation c.1890. Recent roof addition and extension to rear (north), c.2010. Later in use as hotel, now in use as dental hospital with retail outlet to ground floor. Shared pitched slate roof concealed behind terracotta and rendered parapet with piers, lead flashing and gable-fronted half-dormer window having pediment and string courses to centre, rendered chimneystack with shallow projecting chimneybreast to west elevation. Recent metal clad roof addition to north pitch. Moulded cornice and eaves course over red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, red brick pilasters to front, painted lettering to side (west) elevation, and yellow brick with red brick quoins to rear. Square-headed window openings having moulded terracotta sills, continuous moulded sill to second floor windows, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, moulded terracotta keystones to openings to third floor. Round-headed window opening to dormer, chamfered surrounds and keystone. Ashlar sandstone shopfront comprising pilasters, fluted pedimented consoles flanking render fascia and carved sandstone cornice, recent shopfront within. Street fronted, set at east end of South Leinster Street at junction with Lincoln Place.

Appraisal

Built as part of a group of four with shared form and fabric, this building makes a positive contribution to the continuity of the streetscape. Retaining a sense of symmetry and restraint, it was subsequently refaced with the addition of the eye-catching Victorian parapet, pilasters and shopfront. The warm brick blends with the terracotta elements, and the moulded detailing subtly articulates the façade. The elegant shopfront lends artistic and contextual interest to both the building and the streetscape. Together with the neighbouring building, No.2 South Leinster Street, it is of significance as a former hotel, Finn's Hotel, the workplace of Nora Barnacle, who was a chambermaid here at the time of her first encounter with James Joyce, on the 10th June 1904. The hotel name survives to the gable façade. Nos.1-4 South Leinster Street, together with the adjoining building 18-19 Lincoln Place, were recently sympathetically remodelled for the dental hospital by McCullough Mulvin Architects.