Survey Data

Reg No

50020420


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social


Original Use

Hospital/infirmary


In Use As

Hospital/infirmary


Date

1895 - 1900


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

11/03/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached gable-fronted eight-bay four-storey dental hospital, built 1896, having shallow projecting gabled end bays to front (south-east) elevation, curved recent red brick extension to north-east elevation, granite and glass return to rear (north-west) elevation, and glazed elevation to south-west. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles and red brick chimneystacks having terracotta pots, cast-iron rainwater goods, and stepped red brick eaves to gables. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond to walls, moulded red brick string courses, red brick projections having round-headed and ogee-headed recesses, red brick pilasters and red brick plinth course. Painted render lettering. Square-headed window openings with moulded red-brick sills and sill courses, some having red brick architraves with decorative console bracket detail and some paired in round-headed recesses with sandstone lintels, mullions and sills. Oculi having moulded red brick architraves. Venetian window opening with V-profile pilasters supporting moulded cornice and archivolt having keystone detail. Timber framed casement windows throughout. Segmental-headed recess with carved sandstone keystone detail, stepped chamfered voussoirs, supported on chamfered jambs and square-headed door opening, now infilled as window opening, flanked by square-headed window openings having carved sandstone architrave and entablature with egg-and-dart motif, replacement windows. Round-headed door openings having moulded brick surrounds and recent doors. Street fronted on Lincoln Place, near gates to Trinity College.

Appraisal

The Dublin Dental Hospital, designed 1894 by Richard Francis Caulfield Orpen, opened in February 1896, though the contractor John Good had not completed its construction. The foundation stone of an east-end wing (now concealed) was laid the same day the building opened, and it continued to expand to meet changing requirements with the construction of extensions to east and north in 1998 to designs by Ahrends, Burton & Koralek. This building, with its eye-catching gables, richly detailed red brick fa├žade, and variety of window openings, dominates Lincoln Place and contrasts with the predominantly stone built buildings found within the college campus proper.