Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built 1825, having shopfront to front (north) elevation, and two-storey return to rear (south) elevation, with single-storey addition, added c.1950. Now in use as part of college. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east to rear, concealed behind rebuilt red brick parapet having carved granite coping, with red brick chimneystack and clay pots, lean-to slate roof to return. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front, smooth render and yellow brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to rear. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, Wyatt window to rear. Shopfront comprising brick pilasters, pedimented console brackets, simple fascia and cornice, interior now blocked, with recent square-headed door opening having timber panelled door and recent square-headed window opening. Apparently retaining geometric decorative scheme to interior hallway. Fronting to south of Pearse Street with steel-framed basement lights to footpath.
Built by George Hill, between 1824 and 1825, as part of a pair with its neighbour to the west. Timber sliding sash windows and a simple shopfront and add to its historic character. The building was occupied by Owen Kelly, a provisions agent in the mid-nineteenth century. Great Brunswick Street was laid out by the Wide Street Commissioners in 1812 after a long negotiation with Trinity College, whose grounds define the southern side of the street. While this building was erected soon after, construction along the street continued for the next forty years. It was renamed in 1922 to commemorate William and Patrick Pearse, who had been executed for the part they played in the 1916 Rising, and whose family business was located at number 27.