Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built 1825, having shopfront to front (north) elevation and single-storey extension, added c.1950, to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as part of college. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west, concealed behind red brick parapet with carved granite coping, having red brick chimneystack with clay pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, some replacement fittings to rear. Shopfront comprising brick pilasters, pedimented console brackets flanking fascia and cornice, over square-headed window opening with recent fittings, canted doorway to recessed porch to west, having render step. Steel-framed basement light to front. Apparently retaining timber joinery to interior.
Built by George Hill, between 1824 and 1825, as part of a pair with its neighbour to the east. Timber sliding sash windows, a simple shopfront and high quality interior joinery add to its historic character. It was occupied by a Mrs. Hamilton, Henry Bunn, a funeral director, and Joseph Lyons, a solicitor, in 1860. Great Brunswick Street was laid out by the Wide Street Commissioners in 1812 after a long negotiation with Trinity College, whose grounds define the southern side of the street. While this building was erected soon after, construction along the street continued for the next forty years. It was renamed in 1922 to commemorate William and Patrick Pearse, who had been executed for the part they played in the 1916 Rising, and whose family business was located at number 27.