Survey Data

Reg No

50020346


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social Technical


Original Use

Building misc


In Use As

Office


Date

1950 - 1970


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

31/03/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding twelve-bay two-storey former factory, built c.1960, having three-storey projecting tower to front (east) elevation. Now in commercial use. Flat roofs, with sawtooth roof to rear (west) elevation, hidden behind brick parapet having overhanging eaves, smooth rendered chimneystack, recent extension to roof. Red brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to walls, smooth render plinth course, smooth rendered walls to tower. Square-headed windows having render surrounds and sills, and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed door opening with aluminium-framed side lights and door. Square-headed door openings to base of tower having recent timber doors and render surrounds. Located to west side and south of Mark Street.

Appraisal

This former print works is a fine example of a small mid-twentieth-century industrial building. The striking horizontal lines of this composition, expressed through the fenestration, are offset by the projecting rendered bay. Smooth render is used to good effect to provide textural and tonal contrast with the red brick walls. A north-lit sawtooth roof is evidence of a manufacturing or industrial function, while flat roofs, clean lines and simplicity of design give this structure a modern appearance.