Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1825
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c.1820, having recent shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as guesthouse and pub. M-profile pitched slate roof, concealed behind brown brick parapet with granite coping, and having shared rendered chimneystack with clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond to wall to front. Square-headed windows having raised render reveals, granite sills, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed openings and carved detailing to recent timber shopfront. Located towards west end and north side of Pearse Street.
Pearse Street, formerly Great Brunswick Street, was laid out by the Wide Street Commission in the early nineteenth century and was renamed in 1922 to commemorate Patrick and William Pearse, whose family had a shop at number 27 and who were executed for the part they played in the 1916 Rising. This building is part of a terrace of houses, built along the north side of the street, which share a parapet height, fenestration arrangement and fabric, thus making a positive contribution to the continuity of the streetscape. It was used for a number of commercial purposes throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. It retains much of its original form and character, and is subtly enhanced by its historic fabric including brickwork and windows.