Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1825
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in commercial use. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west, concealed behind brown brick parapet with granite coping, and having shared rendered chimneystack with clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond to wall to front. Square-headed window openings throughout, having raised render reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window and door openings, fluted pilasters and consoles to shopfront. Located towards west end and north side of Pearse Street.
Pearse Street, formerly Great Brunswick Street, was laid out by the Wide Street Commission in the early nineteenth century and renamed in 1922 to commemorate Patrick and William Pearse, whose family had a shop at number 27 and who were executed for the part they played in the 1916 Rising. This is part of a terrace of houses with shared form, fabric and detailing, built along the north side of Great Brunswick Street and contributing to the uniformity of the streetscape. This building has served a number of commercial purposes, in addition to being used as a house. It retains much of its early form and character, with a decreasing scale of fenestration which creates a pleasingly balanced façade, and timber sliding sash windows, which contribute to the patina of age of the composition.