Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1825
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (south) elevation and recent extension to rear (north) elevation. Now in retail use. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east, concealed behind brown brick parapet with granite coping, shared rendered chimneystack having clay pots. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front. Square-headed window openings with raised render reveals, granite sills, one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window and door openings to recent shopfront. Two-bay two-storey mews to lane to rear, now used as store, having flat roof behind brick parapet under granite coping, cast-iron rainwater goods, brown brick wall, laid in English bond, to yard, with square-headed windows having granite sills, one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows behind wrought-iron bars, square-headed door opening with timber battened door. Located towards west end and north side of Pearse Street.
Pearse Street, formerly Great Brunswick Street, was laid out by the Wide Street Commission in the early nineteenth century and renamed in 1922 to commemorate Patrick and William Pearse, whose family had a shop at number 27, and who were executed for the part they played in the 1916 Rising. This house was built as part of a terrace, sharing parapet height, fenestration arrangement and fabric, along the north side of the street in the early decades of the nineteenth century. It served a number of commercial purposes as well as being a private residence. It retains much of its traditional form and character, contributing to the character of the streetscape.