Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1825
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as commercial offices. M-profile pitched slate roof hidden behind brown brick parapet with granite coping, rendered shared chimneystack with clay pots. Brown brick wall laid in Flemish bond to front. Square-headed window openings having raised render reveals, granite sills, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door and window openings to shopfront. Located towards west end and on north side of Pearse Street.
Pearse Street, formerly Great Brunswick Street, was laid out by the Wide Street Commission in the early nineteenth century, and renamed in 1922 to commemorate Patrick and William Pearse, whose family had a shop at number 27, and who were executed for the part they played in the 1916 Rising. This is one of a terrace of houses, sharing parapet height and detailing, built along the north side of the street. It was used for a number of commercial purposes since the mid-nineteenth century. It retains much of its traditional form and character, contributing to the character of the streetscape.