Categories of Special Interest
1815 - 1825
Attached terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (south) elevation, now disused. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west, partly hidden behind brown brick parapet with granite coping, and with rendered chimneystack having clay pots and terracotta ridge tiles. Brown brick wall, laid in Flemish bond to front (south) elevation. Square-headed window openings, with raised render reveals, masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door and window openings to recent shopfront. Located towards west end and north side of Pearse Street
Pearse Street, formerly Great Brunswick Street, was laid out by the Wide Street Commission in the early nineteenth century. This house is part of a terrace built along the north side of Great Brunswick Street, which share a parapet height and detailing, contributing positively to the continuity of the streetscape. It was used for a number of commercial purposes, including a butcher's and a cigar shop, and, notably, was the address of the noted church architect J.J. McCarthy between 1846 and 1855. This building retains much of its original form and character. The regular fenestration to the front creates a pleasingly balanced façade, making a positive contribution to the streetscape.