Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1825
Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1820, now used as community services centre. M-profile pitched slate roof hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet with granite coping, brown brick chimneystack having clay pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond to upper floors to front (south) elevation, moulded render fascia over smooth render to ground floor and basement, roughcast render to side (east) elevation, yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, and uncoursed limestone to ground floor to side. Square-headed window openings with raised render reveals, granite sills, six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first and second floors. Recent square-headed display window to front ground floor. Segmental-headed door opening with moulded masonry surround, plain masonry doorcase, plain fanlight, replacement door and nosed granite steps flanked by wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth walls, returning to enclose basement area. Door opening to basement beneath door approach. Square-headed door opening to side. Located towards west end and to north side of Pearse Street.
Pearse Street, formerly Great Brunswick Street, was laid out by the Wide Street Commission in the early nineteenth century. This house is part of a terrace built along the north side of Great Brunswick Street by 1823 with shared parapet height and detailing. These buildings were used for various purposes, including a tailor's shop, hardware store, and a mission hall. Although it has lost some original internal fabric, this building retains its original form and character. The regular fenestration facing on to Pearse Street creates a pleasingly balanced facade, and timber sliding sash windows lend a patina of age to the composition. It maintains the parapet height of its neighbours to the west, making a positive contribution to the continuity of the streetscape.